Balanitis can have a number of causes. But the fungal form is the man’s version of a yeast infection for women. It’s often, but certainly not exclusively, caused by the same yeast – Candida albicans. It’s important to discuss your situation with a doctor. But some of the best treatments for fungal balanitis can be done at home.
Of course, there are over-the-counter antifungal creams you can use directly. Or the doctor may prescribe a cream, usually a more concentrated compound of miconazole or clotrimazole than is available over the counter.
Soaking in a lukewarm tub can be relaxing. And while you’re there, add in a cup each of white vinegar and salt, and maybe a few drops of an antifungal like tea tree oil.
Aside from supplements, the most famous probiotic is yogurt (with active, living cultures). But there are other options too. Kefir, fermented vegetables like sauerkraut, and some cheeses offer probiotic benefits.
For some who are unused to probiotics, it can be a good idea to start with low amounts and build up slowly. It may also be a good idea to separate your probiotic intake into two or three servings taken throughout the day.
If the balanitis is aggravated by a tight foreskin, and if it keeps recurring, circumcision may be one of the best treatments for fungal balanitis available. Or – cringeworthy as this sounds – the doctor may suggest cutting a slit to separate the foreskin from the penis.
5. Good Daily Care
- Wash daily, and dry thoroughly afterwards.
- Dry thoroughly after peeing.
- Don’t let the area become irritated. That means not using harsh soaps on the area. And be careful of the effects of lubricants, condoms, and spermicides.
- Wear loose underwear.
- Your sexual partner may also want to get treatment.
- Consider refraining from sex until three days after the balanitis has resolved. Otherwise, you could be reinfected or reinfect your partner.
It may seem like it’ll never be over, but it will. And if you use some of the best treatments for fungal balanitis, they might just help you kick it out of bed.